Thursday 25 April 2013

Window box watch & Iain Banks update


One of my recent jobs has been to report on the progress of Alice's bulbs in the window boxes.

On the 21st March, Spring Equinox (here, anyway) the tulips were doing their best, and a few were in bud in each box.

She's got three boxes altogether...

But on the 27th of March it snowed and froze! 

I was glad Alice lent me her hat to keep my ears warm during the inspection. 

There's a white hyacinth in each box, replanted from indoors last year.

At least nothing had died.


This picture was taken on April the 3rd.

That's more like it!

Click on any photo to see a bigger image.
Right click and open in new tab for the full glory!


By the very next day they we were all opening out in the sunshine together.

I felt like staying there even longer, just to feel the warmth on my face.





April the 15th saw them fully open. Gorgeous.

Just as well, since next day the tulip petals had fallen and the gales arrived - so they were overblown and blown over.

Alice was too upset to take a picture of the carnage. She pretended it was just the light was poor, but I know her so well I could tell.

She cheered up on April 23rd, because the Narcissi (that's mini daffodils to you and me) were now in flower. So I was all smiles again as well! Yes, I know what you're going to say, but I was smiling inside, as well.

The (indoor) geraniums are coming out too. 

Never mind that there was wind and rain only ten minutes later...

Today she's just put some Nasturtium seeds to soak. Last year they didn't do too well, so she's going to start them off indoors this time. Those of you blessed with fingers, please cross them.

The wonderful Iain M Banks is back home now, "after a basically brilliant honeymoon / holiday". He says:

Discovering the sheer extent and depth of the feelings people have expressed on the message board over the past two weeks has been truly astounding. I feel treasured, I feel loved, I feel I’ve done more than just pursue the craft I adore and make a living from it, and more than just fulfil the only real ambition I’ve ever had – of becoming a professional writer. I am deeply flattered and touched, and I can’t deny I’ve been made to feel very special indeed.    [And more...]

If you haven't posted a message for him yet, you can still do so. See below for Alice's appreciation.