Monday 9 July 2012

Catching up (1)

Now Alice and I have settled our differences (see 30 June & 2 July) I'll make a start on "catching up", although I fear that's one of Life's Great Tasks that can never be completed. Alice adds that's because it's Jam yesterday, jam tomorrow, but never jam today! just as the White Queen said.

The Red Queen, too, told her you often have to keep running just to stay where you are.  
[Like housework - Alice]


 Tenniel's illustration does sum up how I often feel...

Jubilation Poem
Talking of Queens reminds me of the poem written by our very clever friend Pat MacAulay. She  kindly sent a copy to us by smail. Here it is for your perusal at last.

It was printed on the 1st June 2012 in the Gairloch & District Times. This publication does not reach the whole of the nation - alas - as it often includes such gems of poetic creativity from the local area.

[The tricksy layout seems to be crucial to the piece - Alice]



Hey Nonny No! Make merry!
For into the Jubilee We go.
In presence and in essence,
Crumpets and Coronets,
Cavorting Corgis Straining on the leash:
Prancing Ponies polished and paraded
Scarlet-Caparisoned Bobbing Bearskins
Fanfares and Falderals.  [1]

Sixty Diamond Years of Wide-Brimmed hats -
Another Ribbon cut,
Another Sandwich in the Rain,
Another Freshly-Painted Smallest Room,
Another posey-proffering Feckless child
To favour with One's Smile.

Clinging to my Hellenic Rock
I muse upon the Future of My House;
The kaleidoscope of Commonwealth sustains Me.
 
Aaah! What a mistresspiece! The resonant Alliteration! That carefree Scattering of Capitals! The subtle Allusions to Other Royals! (The style is somewhat Catching, I do Confess.)

Alice is a little concerned that my readers may doubt my judgement on reading this appreciation. I trust they are intelligent enough to understand that it is offered in the spirit of the original.

We leave you to form your own opinion.
 
[1] Note: Falderal can also be written as "Folderol". [Derived from "Folie du roi", surely? - Alice]