Friday 29 November 2013

Down South again - part two

The next part of our trip was supposed to be one simple train journey to Alice's friend who lives near Hastings - but then...

Despite having arranged it all well in advance, she "discovered" online (after some curious - in both senses - Googling of name plus images) another ex-University friend with whom she'd lost touch for simply ages and ages. The image she found, as you can see, was in itself somewhat cryptic and frustrating, but other information encouraged her to take the risk of an email. And Bingo! it really was the friend in question.

Many more emails, texts and phone calls later, we added a diversion to the UK Capital to our itinerary, which meant an extra train journey.

But I like trains: much more relaxing than planes. I even made a new friend on the way, albeit briefly. Click on this (and any other images) to see bigger - or right-click to open full size in a new tab.  I know, I know: some of you already know that.

We finally arrived at the great Clapham Junction, of legendary fame, where the two friends made an enthusiastic reunion. They got a passing stranger to photograph this historic moment with them both standing in front of the Tube map.
I got left off, apart for the very top of my head and ears! I was more than a little hurt about this, but Alice apologised profusely, so I insisted she had to compensate for it later.

We could now use our sensibly pre-ordered, pretty Visitor's Oyster Card, and I got the fun of riding in a big red London bus for the first time. I was sorry, though, we didn't meet the famous Man on the Clapham Omnibus.

After dropping off the luggage, we went to a very nice little pub in Brixton, where the two women talked and talked for simply hours.

We started in the Trinity Arms' lovely outdoor garden and went inside as it got cooler. And still they kept on talking.

They did have an awful lot of years to catch up on. At least it was a comfy place to be.

After supper back at the house, now joined by the friend's partner, they talked even more. And I got to see the biggest computer screen in my life. It's a Mac, and the working bit of the computer is on the back of the screen. Ain't technology wonderful! I hope you've noticed the website they had up...

What did they do over breakfast the next morning? Yes, you've got it. Talked: Life, The Universe and Everything stuff by now.

Eventually it was back on the train, towards Hastings this time. That's for part three.