Sunday 14 July 2013

Sorry. Way behind...

I only managed to persuade Alice to at least try and catch up a  bit, by saying she could put up the recent photos, but not worry too much about the worthy information, the obscure links, and all that jazz.

Of course that's the part she takes so much pride in. I'm sure my dear followers just want to see me in interesting places! I told her she can always come back later and add the other stuff when she's feeling better.

Oh, yes, I forgot to say, she's not been feeling at her best, and is down in the dumps again. (I'm not allowed to go into details here.) And just what are The Dumps anyway?

To start on an upbeat: this lovely photo is of me (of course) with the first of the nasturtiums. Or should it be nasturtia? Does anyone really care?

We went off on a June afternoon to do some more Art and see Mr Peploe's paintings. Why they call them still lifes (lives?) I really don't know. Some of it is alive, though it's certainly very still...
Most of it I thought was pretty boring, but Alice said we should keep going round and not give up.

Actually, we both rather liked this one of the lobster - the colours were great!

Open these images, and any others you like, in a new tab or window if you want to see them full size.

Accross the road was a rather more ominously titled exhibition. (Click the pic.) I was glad we weren't going in that way!

We only had time for a quick look and haven't got round to going again, yet. Still, it's on til 8th September, so watch this space - or rather, another space, maybe even soon.

One room wasn't deathly at all. It was super fun. Hee, hee, see me!

It's a construction (with the rather off-putting title of It happens when the body is anatomy of time) by this amazing guy called Ernesto Neto. You can read some stuff about him here, but really he just likes making gorgoeous sensual environments for people to take pleasure in. You'll find more pictures on his own website.

The bases of these mushroom stalk things were filled with cloves, cumin and turmeric. The lady in the shop said when it was first installed, you could smell them as soon as you came in the main door! Now there's imagination for you. I think they should call it Sniff Art, don't you?

This exhibition, which we caught a bit later on, was, not surprisingly, at the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, which got done-up relatively recently. It has a nice cafe and shop, too.

You can look up Man Ray on Wikipedia (he had an interesting life!) but you'll get more lovely images if you Google for them. We saw lots and lots of photos in this exhibition, many of them surprisingly small. Alice got quite tired reading all the information. He seemed to know so many famous people!

We were also there to catch the unusual House of Annie Lennox show before it closed. There were some costumes and great videos to see. And she was certainly a terrific singer.  Mostly this visit was Alice's nostalgia trip: she was a fan of the Eurythmics in her younger days - good rhythmic (hah!) music to dance to. 

Annie Lennox is now well known as political activist and philanthropist, especially for AIDS charities.

The picture to the left of Annie Lennox with David Bowie was taken at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert for AIDS Awareness in 1992.

Annie  experimented a lot with gender roles and appearance. Always an interesting thing to do, says Alice, who still calls herself a feminist. A long discussion we could get into there, but not now. I'm not sure quite where I stand on issues like that, though I do like a bit of dressing up now and again. But I'm just a simple soul, me.

So, that's us more or less up to date, folks. Alice admits she's cheered up a bit. [I told her it would!]
To wind up, here's another lovely photo of me with a great big nasturtium I just wanted to cuddle up to. No, of course I wouldn't eat it! This variety is called Empress of India, and it's the third year Alice has tried to grow some from seed. Third time lucky. Hurrah! Don't they just cheer you up as well?